Meet Jackie Garcia: Intercultural and Language Learning Assistant

Meet Jackie

My name is Jackie Garcia and I am currently a junior at Wesleyan University. I am originally from Los Angeles, California. I am majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Race and Ethnicity as well as Latin American Studies with a concentration in Hispanic Literatures and Cultures. This year, I am working with Natalia Román Alicea as the Intercultural and Language Learning Assistant. My job is to research information about intercultural issues on campus, in the United States, and around the world! I also work on connecting intercultural and language learning events and projects with different organizations on campus, helping promote events on social media, and writing articles for the Wes and the World newsletter.

I am very involved on campus. I am currently a Resident Advisor at one of the first-year dorms in which I work to foster a sense of community for freshman students. I am also a part of an ASHA (Adolescent Sexual Health Awareness) subcommittee, where we work on creating inclusive dialogue and events pertaining to sexual health taking into account social factors like gender, body type, race, and others. I am also a part of Ajua Campos, the Latinx organization on campus. My latest project is starting the Rebel Eaters Club here at Wesleyan that seeks to create an open space in which we can discuss how our language and culture surrounding eating disorders are pervasive and how we can fight against body image norms to establish food peace for ourselves.

This year, I am excited to find ways to connect intercultural and language learning events with organizations on campus for students of color and first generation, low income students. I am excited to take my own personal and academic passions and connect them with promoting and creating intercultural and language learning opportunities on campus!

Written by Jackie Garcia ’22