FLTA Series: Introducing Romane Rousseau

Hi everyone! My name is Romane and I am one of the French FLTAs for the 2022-2023 academic year. I was born in Vendée, a region located on the west coast of France, but now I live and study in Paris. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English after completing a three-year program in a literary preparatory class in Nantes and I am now pursuing a master’s degree in American Literature at La Sorbonne Nouvelle. My thesis focuses on the literary expression of color in contemporary African American fiction, and I am studying how Toni Morrison, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Danzy Senna, and Percival Everett manage to revitalize blackness in their works.

Studying and working in the United States has always been a dream of mine. When I was in sixth grade, for an art project on what my life would look like in 10 years, I chose to represent my future life in the US. Well, here I am 10 years later at Wesleyan, happier than ever! In addition, I want to become a teacher (I have yet to decide whether I want to teach French abroad or teach English in France) so applying to be an FLTA at Wesleyan felt natural. And of all the universities I could have chosen to teach French, Wesleyan was the one I saw myself doing my year abroad at.

It’s been almost two months since I arrived at Wesleyan and I’ve been able to meet some wonderful people who are always willing to party and travel. I’m therefore looking forward to strengthening these relationships and meeting new people as well. I also love giving French classes so I’m really looking forward to helping my students progress in my mother tongue. Finally, traveling is what makes me happy in life, so I’m really excited to discover new cities, new States and new landscapes.

Romane Rousseau, French FLTA, rrousseau@wesleyan.edu