Deadline Extended for the Power of Language Conference! Saturday, April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Seeking submissions and presentations on language learning and multilingual living
The Power of Language Conference seeks to bring awareness to the many benefits of language learning and to promote the study of languages other than English across campus. It creates a forum to empower culturally sensitive citizens to thrive in the contemporary global environment.
This year’s conference will highlight multilingual initiatives inside and outside the classroom. We invite students, faculty, alumni, and members of the community to join us in celebrating multilingualism on Wesleyan’s campus and beyond.
Paper proposals will be presented on Saturday, April 4, 2020. Paper proposals should address one or more of these themes:
- Language learning | Challenges, methodologies, creative projects, CLAC courses
- Multilingualism | Living within multiple languages and cultures, this can include languages studied in institutions of higher education as well as languages learned informally, at home or in primary school
- Language and society | Perception and experience of social and political dynamics through language
- Languages studied abroad | Language learning in another culture and educational system, as well as experiencing life, politics, and social dynamics in another country)
- Language as artistic expression | Critical reflections and interpretations
- Ancient and modern language interactions | Translation and reception
- Linguistics | Topics in phonology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, ethnolinguistics, raciolinguistics, computational linguistics, applied linguistics
- Interdisciplinary approaches to languages | Language and neuroscience, language and sport, language and theater, etc.
Multilingual creative performances will be performed on Friday, April 3, 2020. Performance submissions can be in the form of:
- Acapella | solo or group acapella performances in a language other than English
- Musical instruments / Songs | solo or group performances using instruments to perform music/songs in a language other than English
- Poetry / Prose | poems and or prose performed in a language other than English (please provide translation)
- Short stories | Short stories performed either bilingually or a language other than English (please provide translation)
- Exhibition | Display of artistic exhibition that is related to language learning
- Posters | Display of poster exhibition that is related to language learning
We welcome original contributions in the form of an individual proposal or a proposal for an entire panel of speakers. All proposals should clarify the presenters’ approach and format of the presentation. Presentations will be limited to 15 minutes and a maximum of three co-presenters. Please include your A/V needs with your proposal.
If you wish to present at the conference, please submit a proposal that is 200-250 words in length by February 15, 2020.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent by March 1st, 2020.