Meet & Greet: Inayah Bashir ’20

My name is Inayah Bashir, and I am from East Orange, NJ. I am a College of Social Studies major, and I am receiving a Writing Certificate with a concentration in Creative Writing. As the 2019-2020 Fellowship Assistant, I work alongside Magda Zapędowska, Assistant Director of Fellowships. Together, we plan events, create materials, and brainstorm ways that we can assist Wesleyan students and alumni in their pursuit of fellowships. Most of my work consists of finding ways to effectively spread awareness about fellowship and scholarship opportunities. So far, I have assisted in planning a Fellowship Applicant Celebration, developed user-friendly informational tools, and brainstormed ways to further support students during the application process. I was interested in this position because I wanted to make sure that students, especially students of color, felt equipped to pursue fellowship and scholarship opportunities that aligned with their interests.

Photo taken during a short trip to Atlanta, Georgia where I learned a lot about Black History and Culture.

Photo was taken during a short trip to Atlanta, Georgia where I learned a lot about Black History and Culture.

Beyond my work as the Fellowship Intern, I am involved with various groups and projects on campus. I am a board member for Ujamaa, Wesleyan’s Black Student Union. We plan events, discussions, and activities that help to foster community amongst Wesleyan’s black and brown students. Additionally, I am a Patricelli Fellow, which is a fellowship that provides Wesleyan students with the opportunity to develop a social entrepreneurial project. During my time as a fellow, I worked on Level Head Level Up, an organization that creates programming to shift the mental wellness conversation towards a more holistic approach. Currently, I am working with Middletown HS students to develop mental wellness programs for their school community. I also love working with Wesleyan’s creatives, so I have acted in several productions. This semester, I am honored to be acting as a lead in a Senior Film Thesis.

Photo taken during the production of Eons (a student written and produced play), playing Lucy (a lead character in the play)

Photo was taken during the production of Eons (a student-written and produced play), playing Lucy (a lead character in the play)

Overall, I love Wesleyan and all that this community has done for me, so I look for ways that I can give back to others. This year, I applied for two fellowships, The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Award and The Watson Fellowship. I was interested in these two fellowships because they combined my love of traveling with impactful experiences that align with my career goals of being an education and equality advocate. Throughout the application process, I felt supported by faculty, staff, and peers. As the Fellowships Intern, I am hoping to find ways that each applicant can feel supported in the ways that they need to successfully go after the opportunities that they desire.