Study Abroad Peer Mentors

While it’s unclear at this point when study abroad may resume, students who are hoping to study abroad during their undergraduate experience are encouraged to use this time to consider their options and possible next steps. One of the best ways for students to understand the study abroad process is by speaking with a fellow student who has already studied abroad. Lucky for you, Wesleyan has a fantastic group of Peer Mentors who are eager to help!

Study Abroad Peer Mentors are current Wesleyan students who recently returned from a study abroad experience and work with the Office of Study Abroad on a volunteer-basis. They are ready to mentor you through any of the study abroad questions or challenges you may be facing.

Liana Biasucci
Study Abroad Program: University of Sydney, Australia (Fall 2019)
Majors: Economics, Environmental Studies
Email Liana

Hi! My name is Liana and I am currently a senior majoring in Economics and Environmental Studies. I studied abroad in Fall 2019 at the University of Sydney in Australia with the IFSA-Butler Partnership. I took courses counting towards both of my majors, primarily in the field of political economy. I also worked as an intern at a green finance and sustainability consulting firm, which was one of my favorite parts of the program!

Emily Burstein
Study Abroad Program: BU London Internship Program, England (Spring 2020)
Major: English
Email Emily

Hi! My name is Emily, and I am a senior English major. I studied abroad with Boston University on their London Internship Program. The opportunity to intern in an international workspace allowed me to grow both personally and professionally. I was hesitant to study abroad, but am so glad I did. I could not recommend a study away experience more emphatically!

Jamie Cheng
Study Abroad Programs: DIS Copenhagen, Denmark (Fall 2019); CIEE Arts + Sciences in Legon, Ghana (Spring 2020); National Taiwan University, Taiwan (Fall 2020)
Majors: Psychology, Education Studies
Email Jamie

To begin with, the U.S. is actually the first country I studied abroad in during college years—I’m an international student from Taiwan. For me, studying abroad means much more than traveling around the world, exploring the vibrant life of cities, cultivating cultural competency, and forming international friendships; more importantly, it has been a stimulus for self-growth and opportunity for deeper self-understanding. Therefore, I decided to study abroad “abroad” in Denmark and Ghana for a semester each during my junior year. Then, unexpectedly, I came back to Taiwan due to COVID-19 and ended up studying “abroad” at National Taiwan University during Fall 2020. Anyway, with my diverse cross-cultural experiences across all four continents, I hope I can be of any help to you if you are thinking about studying abroad any time soon! Feel free to email me with any questions on culture, housing, traveling, things to consider when choosing programs or literally anything!

Akankska Kalasabail
Study Abroad Program: IFSA – Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (Fall 2019)
Major: English
Email Akanksha

Hello! I’m Akanksha and I am an English major with a concentration in Race and Ethnicity studies. I went abroad with IFSA Butler to Wellington, New Zealand, and had the best time of my life! I am also a Global Ambassador for IFSA and would love to talk about traveling to Oceania or with IFSA!

Tina Omoeva
Study Abroad Program: Vassar-Wesleyan Program in Paris, France (Fall 2019)
Majors: History, French Studies
Email Tina

My name is Tina Omoeva, I’m a senior at Wes majoring in History and French, with a minor in Economics. In my junior year, I had the incredible experience of going abroad with the Vassar-Wesleyan Program in Paris. As a double-major, it was somewhat tricky for me to organize my courses in a way that enabled me to study abroad, and I would love the opportunity to help other students plan their courses, as well as share general tips that I wish I would’ve known while I was in France. Though it wasn’t without its challenges, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything, and I want to do all I can to help other students participate in this opportunity.

Kiyo Saso
Study Abroad Program: Vassar-Wesleyan Program in Madrid, Spain (Spring 2020)
Major: Romance Studies
Email Kiyo

My name is Kiyo and I am a romance studies major from the class of 2021. In the spring of 2020, I studied abroad through the Vassar-Wesleyan Madrid program, an experience which was unfortunately curtailed (for obvious reasons) but nonetheless great from start to finish. I can offer plenty of insight into the chaotic student visa process, as well as making friends while abroad – talk to me!